Ocean Decade Conference
10-12 April 2024, Barcelona
What is the Conference?
Four years into the Ocean Decade, this international conference will bring together the global Ocean Decade community and partners to celebrate and take stock of progress and set joint priorities for the future. It will be hosted by Spain and co-organised with UNESCO's International Oceanographic Commission (IOC-UNESCO).
Some of the Conference aims are to:
- Generate consensus on science-policy-society priorities for the Ocean Decade via discussion of the Vision 2030 process.
- Create opportunities for networking to encourage new partnerships and initiatives.
- Provide a global platform for announcements and commitments.
- Prepare for the 2025 UN Ocean Conference and related events.
More details about the Conference programme and calls for proposals for satellite events are available on the conference website:
2024 Ocean Decade Conference | Homepage (oceandecade-conference.com)
Pre-registration for the Conference is required by 30th October 2023, and full registration will open from 1st November 2023. The registration page can be found here:
2024 Ocean Decade Conference | Pre-registration (oceandecade-conference.com)
Ways to be involved
There are lots of ways to get involved with the Conference, either in Barcelona or supporting from the UK, for example:
- Register as a speaker: there will be calls for experts to register as speakers or participants for plenary discussions. We will update this when the call is launched.
- Propose a Satellite Event: satellite events are partner-led and partner-resourced events that are action-oriented and contribute to the Conference aims and wider Decade objectives. They will take plays prior to the Conference and within the breaks of the main programme. There are many different event options, such as workshops, seminars, panels, cultural events and networking receptions. See: 2024 Ocean Decade Conference | Satellite Events (oceandecade-conference.com).
- The UK National Decade Committee will be doing enhanced communications during the Conference period, to report back on highlights and showcase the great work of the UK science community. Please get involved by broadcasting your Decade-related activities.
Get in touch!
We would love to hear from you if you are planning to attend the Conference and/or are looking to organise or be part of a satellite event.
We are exploring the possibility of holding a networking reception for those involved in UK Ocean Decade activities who will be in Barcelona for the Conference (9th April evening, venue TBC) so please let us know if you would be interested in attending if we went ahead.
Contact us via this form.